It may be the mid week hump, but the sun has got his hat on and with it being National Strawberry Parfait day, why not gather together with a few of your friends and enjoy the downward slope to the weekend with the sunshine and some sublime Strawberry Parfait. It is also the perfect accompaniment as an indulgent treat whilst watching Wimbledon.
For those of you who are fancying trying your hand at home made, here are some recipes for Strawberry Pairfait for you to have a dabble at:
Healthy Strawberry Parfaits
This recipe from Women’s Health Magazine is for a rather delicious and healthy version of strawberry parfait.
Ingredients: (These ingredients will make 4 parfaits)
- 1 lb of Strawberries
- 2 Cups of Low Fat Vanilla Yoghurt
- 6 tbsps Muesli Cereal
- Sliced strawberries – for garnish
- Chop the strawberries into quarters and then divide half of them between 4 dessert glasses.
- Divide 1 cup of the Low Fat Vanilla Yoghurt and 3 Tbsps of the Muesli Cereal evenly amongst the glasses on top of the strawberries.
- Repeat the above two steps with the rest of your strawberries, yoghurt and muesli so that you have 4 alternative layers in the glasses.
- Top them off with some slice strawberries as a garnish
Not So Healthy White Chocolate and Strawberry Parfait
We all like a little indulgence too and this recipe for white chocolate and strawberry parfait from BBC food is simply divine.
Ingredients: (The following ingredients will make 4 parfaits)
For the Parfait:
- 150g of White Chocolate
- 500ml of Double Cream
- 100ml of Water
- 115g of Caster Sugar
- 6 Egg Yolks
For the Strawberries:
- 4 Tbsp Kirsch
- 2 Tbsp Icing Sugar
- 200g Hulled and Quartered Strawberries
For the Tuiles
- 2 Egg Whites
- 60g of Softened Butter
- 120g of Caster Sugar
- 100g of Ground Pecans
- 1 Tbsp of Cocoa Powder
- 12 toasted Pecan Halves – for Garnish
- Melt the white Chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Ensure that the bottom of the bowl does not actually touch the water.
- In a separate bowl whip the double cream until it holds soft peaks and set it to one side.
- Bring the water and sugar to the boil in a small pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they have paled and thickened. Pour in the sugar syrup and continue to whisk for one minute.
- Mix the melted chocolate into the egg and sugar syrup mixture and then quickly fold in the whipped cream.
- Carefully pour the mixture into four moulds. The moulds should roughly be a size of 6cm wide and 4cm deep. Put your moulds into the freezer and leave them for about 2 hours at least.
- Place the Kirsch and icing sugar in a small saucepan and stir together over a gentle heat until all the icing sugar has dissolved.
- Add the strawberries, mix them in well and take the pan off the heat, transfer the strawberries to a small bowl and set it to one side.
- Preheat your oven to 180oC/Gas Mark 5.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together all of your ingredients – apart from the strawberries – until you have a smooth paste.
- Using a palette knife, spread your mixture onto a non-stick baking tray as thinly as you can.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and using a 6cm in diameter circular cutter cut four shapes – please ensure this is done while the mixture is still warm and pliable.
- Place the four circles on a cooling rack to harden.
- Remove your parfaits from the freezer and upturn them one at a time into the centre of your four dessert plates.
- Top each of the parfaits with a tuile, garnish with toasted pecans and spoon over the macerated strawberries that you prepared earlier