July 1st sees the National Day of Canada, a holiday which is for celebrating the anniversary of July 1st 1867 where three colonies united together to form a single country called Canada.
So whilst Canadians across the globe celebrate the birthday of their country we thought we’d look at some of the most awesome things that Canada has given us:
- Dan Ackroyd – The film world just wouldn’t be the same without the legendary dude who starred in greats such as ‘Blues Brothers’, ‘Ghostbusters’ and of course the fabulous ‘Coneheads’
- Blackberry – Can we imagine the world of business gadgetry and smartphones without Blackberry? It has transported the way we can conduct business on the go and also provided us with the much loved socialising tool of Blackberry Messager (BBM).
- Michael J Fox – An inspirational spokesperson for Parkinson’s Disease and another film legend! We’ve all been in love with Marty McFly since the 80’s and quite rightly so.
- Wonderbra – The invention of the Wonderbra is something that both Women and Men are thoroughly thankful for. It is a staple of many a ladies underwear drawer for that quickly added sex appeal and curvaceousness and well I think we all know why the men folk are pleased with the invention.
- Nathan Fillion – On behalf of geeks and Firefly fans everywhere we salute you Captain Mal! O and who could forget his rather creepy bad guy persona Caleb who gave Buffy Summers a run for her money.
- Java Programming Language – Invented by Canadian James Gosling – no relation to Ryan 😉 – Java is the pillar of the Android operating system and the internet and tech world wouldn’t be the same without it.
- Pamela Anderson – One for the guys, the ever beautiful Ms Anderson hails from Canada too and took red swim suits to a whole new level! ‘I’ll be ready…’
- Peanut Butter – this is something that I personally will be eternally grateful for. It’s one of the most important food innovations of all time and Yum, Yum Yummy!! 😀 It was first patented by Canadian Marcellus Gilmore Edson in 1884 and is enjoyed worldwide.
- John Candy – Incredible and legendary actor of the big screen who brought us such amazing classics as Home Alone, Spaceballs, Planes, Trains and Automobiles and my personal favourite Uncle Buck.
- Ryan Gosling – No explanation is needed, we need only to say ‘Thank You Canada, we are eternally grateful’.
Wishing you all a happy Canada Day!