With today being the July 4th, this is the day that all Americans celebrate Independence Day which is also fondly referred to as the ‘Fourth of July’.
It is the anniversary of the publication of the declaration of independence from Great Britain in 1776.
Americans around the globe tend to mark the occasion with a day of family celebrations including picnics and barbecues, whilst showing a great deal of emphasis on the American tradition of political freedom.
There are many activities and events that are associated with the event including eating competitions, baseball games, three-legged races and other such sporting past times.
It is quite common that people will display the American flag outside their houses, buildings and places of work, with many communities coming together for an arranged firework display which are more often than not accompanied by some patriotic music. Independence day is a very patriotic holiday and The Statute of Liberty is a national monument that is associated with it.
Whether you are attending a Fourth of July party, hosting your own or fancy marking the occasion in your own way, we have put together some Fourth of July recipes for you to enjoy and get yourself in the U.S spirit.
All American Mini Burgers with Special Sauce
If its one thing that the USA knows how to do, its make a good burger and what would an American theme party be without burgers? Here’s a recipe for some mini burgers that will go great at any social gathering:
Ingredients: (These ingredients will make around 10 burgers)
• 1 ¼ pounds of Ground Sirloin
• 2 Tablespoons Dill Pickle Relish
• 2 Tablespoons Steak Sauce
• 1 Tablespoon Grill Seasoning
• 1 Teaspoon Sweet Paprika
• 10 Sliced Dinner Rolls
• 2 Cups of Chopped Iceburg Lettuce
• 1 Finely Chopped Small White Onion
• ½ Cup of Ranch Dressing
• ½ Cup Ketchup
• 1 Teaspoon Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
Additional Optional Toppings:
• Sliced Cheeses – your choice
• Sliced Tomatoes
• Yellow Mustard
• Blue Cheese Dressing
• Sweet Pepper Relish
1. Preheat your grill.
2. In a bowl mix together the ranch dressing, ketchup and black pepper and then put in the fridge to chill.
3. Mix the meat, dill pickle relish, steak sauce, grill seasoning and sweet paprika together until well combed.
4. Separate your burger mixture into 10 equally sized portion and then roll into little balls.
5. Squish each of the meatballs into round patties of around 3 inches in diameter.
6. Grill for 2-3 minutes and then serve on the chopped buns, dollop with special sauce and any additional toppings of your choosing.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Lime and Cilantro (Coriander)
Ingredients: Makes about enough for 4 portions
• 3 Unpeeled Sweet Potatoes
• Lime Zest
• Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
• ¼ Cup Canola Oil
• Freshly Ground Pepper
• ¼ Cup of Finely Chopped Fresh Cilantro (Coriander)
1. Part cook the potatoes – Place in a pot of water and boil until fork-tender.
2. Let them cool and then slice each potato lengthwise into eigths.
3. Preheat your grill.
4. Mix 1 tablespoon of salt. The lime zest and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
5. Brush the potato wedges with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
6. Grill until golden brown on all sides – including the skin – and just cooked through, about 1 ½ minutes per side.
7. Transfer to a platter and then immediately season with the salt mixture and sprinkle with cilantro (coriander).
American Flag Fruit Cake
Cake Ingredients: – The cake will serve around 24 people
• 18 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
• 3 Cups of Sugar
• 6 Extra-Large Eggs at Room Temperature
• 1 Cup Sour Cream at Room Temperature
• 1 ½ Teaspoons of Pure Vanilla Extract
• 3 Cups of Flour
• 1/3 Cup of Cornstarch
• 1 Teaspoon Salt
• 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
• 1 Pound of unsalted butter at room temperature
• 1 ½ Pounds of Cream Cheese at Room Temperature
• 1 Pound of Sifted Confectioners Sugar
• 1 ½ Teaspoons of Pure Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat your Oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas Mark 4
2. Grease and flour an 18 x 13 x 1 ½ inch sheet pan.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
4. Whilst mixing add the eggs 2 at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla. Make sure that you scrape all the mixture of the sides of the bowl and ensure it’s well mixed in until smooth.
5. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda.
6. Whilst mixing the egg and butter mixture at a steady and gentle rate add the flour mixture until just combined.
7. Pour into the prepared pan, smoothing the top over with a spatula.
8. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
9. Cool to room temperature.
10. For the icing, combine the butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
11. Spread three-fourths of the icing on the top of the cooled sheet cake. Outline the flag details using a toothpick.
12. Fill the upper left corner with blueberries and put 2 rows of raspberries across the top of the cake like a red stripe.
13. Putting the rest of your icing in a piping bag, pipe two lines of icing underneath the raspberry line to create a white line.
14. Alternate stripes of raspberries and icing until your flag is complete and use the leftover icing to ice little stars on the top of your blueberries.
We are most definitely gonna have a go at making these bad boys! We hope you enjoy them and have a wonderful Fourth of July!